I have noticed (or to be more precious, been shocked) that numerous Christians hold or support values that can only be described as liberal. In this post I will examine liberal values and show, using Biblical responses, why God is not a liberal.
Liberal Value No. 1: Abortion
Liberals believe that a woman has the right to decide what happens with her body. Which sounds fair enough, except that this includes the belief that a fetus is not a human life, so it does not have separate individual rights. They believe that the government should provide taxpayer funded abortions for women who cannot afford them and that every woman has the right to choose to have an abortion. On the other hand conservatives believe that human life begins at conception and so abortion is the murder of a human being. They believe that because an unborn baby is a living human being, that baby has separate rights from those of the mother. Conservatives do not believe that government money should be used to fund abortions.
The Word of God says:
- “You must remove from Israel the guilt of murdering innocent people so that things will go well for you“. Deuteronomy 19:13, New Century Version. Or to put it another way, if you allow the murdering of innocent people in your land, things will not go well for you.
- “They killed those innocent children, and the land was defiled by those murders“. Psalm 106:38, Good News Translation
- “These six things the Lord hates:…….hands that shed innocent blood……“. Proverbs 6:16-17, New King James Version
- “You formed the way I think and feel. You put me together in my mother’s womb……You could see my bones grow as my body took shape, hidden in my mother’s womb. You could see my body grow each passing day. You listed all my parts, and not one of them was missing“. Psalm 139:13-16, Easy to Read Version
Liberal Value No. 2: Euthanasia / Assisted Suicide
Liberals believe that euthanasia should be legalised because a person has a right to die with dignity, by his/her own choice. They believe that a terminally ill person should have the right to choose to end their pain and suffering. The conservative counter argument is that it is immoral and unethical to deliberately end the life of a terminally ill person (euthanasia), or to enable another person to end their own life (assisted suicide). They argue that the goal should be to compassionately care for and ease the suffering of terminally ill people.
The Word of God says:
- “The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death“. 1 Corinthians 15:26. Death is described as an enemy
- “I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life“. Deuteronomy 30:19
- “You must not murder anyone“. Exodus 20:13, Easy to Read Version. ‘Anyone’ would include yourself, suicide is murdering yourself and assisting a suicide is being an accomplice to murder
- “You realize, don’t you, that you are the temple of God, and God himself is present in you? No one will get by with vandalizing God’s temple, you can be sure of that. God’s temple is sacred—and you, remember, are the temple“. 1 Corinthians 3:16-17, The Message
Liberal Value No. 3: Same Sex Marriage
Liberals believe that marriage is the union of people who love each other and that it should be legal for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender individuals. The conservative viewpoint is that marriage is the union of one man and one woman.
The Word of God says:
- “A man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh“. Genesis 2:24, New American Standard Bible
- “No man is to have sexual relations with another man; God hates that“. Leviticus 18:22, Good News Translation
- “Don’t you know that wicked people won’t inherit the kingdom of God? Stop deceiving yourselves! People who continue to commit sexual sins, …….those who commit adultery, homosexuals“. 1 Corinthians 6:9, Names Of God Bible
Liberal Value No. 4: Higher Taxes For The Rich
Liberals believe that higher taxes (especially for the rich) are needed to tackle inequity/injustice in society and to help the poor and needy. In contrast, conservatives believe that lower taxes create more incentive for people to work, to save, to invest, and to engage in entrepreneurial endeavours. They believe that money is best spent by those who earn it, not by the government.
The Word of God says:
- “The rich shall not give more and the poor shall not give less“. Exodus 30:15, The Living Bible
- “Count off every tenth animal from your herds and flocks and set them apart for the Lord as holy“. Leviticus 27:32, New Living Translation. The 10% percentage rate is the same for the rich, as it is for the poor
- “When you happen on someone who’s in trouble or needs help among your people with whom you live in this land that God, your God, is giving you, don’t look the other way pretending you don’t see him. Don’t keep a tight grip on your purse. No. Look at him, open your purse, lend whatever and as much as he needs. Don’t count the cost“. Deuteronomy 15:7-8, The Message. It is the Church’s responsibility, not the government’s, to help the poor. This is a prime example of why those in the Church are not supposed to be poor themselves
Liberal Value No. 5: Keep Prayer & Worship Out Of School
The Bible does not specifically mention schools, but it should be obvious to any Christian that keeping Christianity out of schools, or placing it on a level with other (false) religions is a bad thing. You do know that Christianity is actually true, that God deserves our worship and that without Jesus people will go to hell, don’t you?
Liberal Value No. 6: Freedom Of Religion
Liberals believe that if you want to believe in a particular religion, you’re free to do so – privately.
Did Jesus say that we should keep Christianity to ourselves? Absolutely not! Jesus said, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature“. Mark 16:15
Much of the above values may seem perfectly reasonable to non-Christians, however if you are reading this as a Christian you have no excuse for supporting liberal values. The values of political parties such as the Democratic Party in the USA and the Labour Party in the UK are, in reality, far removed from what the Bible teaches. You need to know what it means to be a liberal and why it is totally at odds with what it means to be Christian. Can you be a liberal and also a Christian? Sure you can. Can you be a liberal and also a mature Christian, committed to putting the Word of God first place in your life? No, you cannot – the two value systems are completely incompatible.
If you have any further questions or thoughts, please feel free to leave a comment.
If you have never received Jesus as your Lord & Saviour, if you have gone away from God, or if you have any doubts regarding your salvation. I encourage you to click on the link below. Clicking on the link will not secure your salvation, but praying the prayer you find, from your heart, will.
For the salvation prayer, please click here.