During the time that I have been writing this blog, I have dealt with many questions that people have about God, the Bible, etc. For example:
- Isn’t grace just a licence to sin?
- Does God still heal today?
- Why would a good God allow suffering?
- Do all religions lead to Heaven?
- Why would a loving God send someone to hell?
But there are certain questions, that do not really require a whole blog post to answer on their own. So in this post, we will look at the answers to some of those questions. Let me give you some advice: If anyone asks you a question that you do not know the answer to, do not be afraid to say that you don’t know. It is far better to be honest, and say that you don’t know, than to try and to bluff your way through answering them. You could, for example, say that you will pray about it and get back to them. James 1:5 says, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him“. Anyway, onto the first question.
QUESTION 1: WHO MADE GOD?
The reason behind this question, is our difficulty in understanding the concept of eternity. We like things to have a beginning. But at the same time, we want to know what there was before that beginning – we know that there must have been something before. It can be difficult to grasp the truth that God has always existed, so we ask, “Who made God?” But if somebody made God, who made them? The questions become endless – which is exactly what eternity is, endless. So the answer is that nobody made God – God has always existed. God is eternal.
QUESTION 2: WHO DID ADAM & EVE’S SONS CAIN & SETH MARRY?
This is actually very easy to answer – the Bible does not list all of Adam & Eve‘s children. It only deals with Cain and Abel, because Cain committed the first murder; and Seth, because it was through Seth that Noah came and thus everyone alive today. We are not told, for example, where Noah’s wife or his sons’ wives came from. The Message translation of Genesis 5:3-4 says, “When Adam was 130 years old, he had a son who was just like him, his very spirit and image, and named him Seth. After the birth of Seth, Adam lived another 800 years, having more sons and daughters. Adam lived a total of 930 years. And he died“. Adam had sons & daughters that are not recorded, after the birth of Seth, and he would very likely have had sons and daughters before the birth of Seth. During his 930 years lifetime, Adam could have had (and almost certainly did have) a lot of children. So the answer to the question, is that Cain & Seth married their sisters. Which brings us to the next question.
QUESTION 3: WHY DID SOME PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE MARRY THEIR RELATIVES?
Concerning Adam & Eve’s children – the answer is that there wasn’t anyone else to marry. For Mankind to grow, they had to marry their brothers and sisters. But what about when people began having children, grandchildren and great grandchildren? What about when there were more options? Who else in the Bible married their relatives and why was it OK to do so? Well in Genesis 12, and again in Genesis 20, Abraham says that his wife Sarah is his sister. He does this, because he is scared that he might be killed because of Sarah’s beauty. But then, in Genesis 20:12, Abraham reveals the truth, “Indeed she is my sister; she is the daughter of my father, but not the daughter of my mother; and she became my wife“. Although Abraham was not directly lying, he was certainly being deceptive in hiding the fact that Sarah was his wife. Later, Abraham & Sarah’s son Isaac marries his first cousin, once removed – Rebekah. Rebekah was the granddaughter of Abraham’s brother Nahor. Then Isaac & Rebekah’s son Jacob marries two of his first cousins, Leah & Rachel, who were the children of Rebekah’s brother Laban. But how come all of this was kosher? It is because the commandment to not marry various close relatives, did not come until the law of Moses, until then it was acceptable – no matter how hard it may be for us to understand today. Incidentally Queen Victoria married her first cousin, Prince Albert.
QUESTION 4: WHAT HAPPENED TO THE DINOSAURS?
In order to answer this question fairly, I must point out that there are two schools of thought among Christians, as to what happened to the dinosaurs (assuming that you believe the Biblical account of creation and not the world’s evolution theory narrative – which can only guess at what happened to the dinosaurs). You can make up your own mind, which school of thought seems the most Biblical.
- The dinosaurs existed in a world before Adam & Eve, between Genesis 1 verse 1 and Genesis 1 verse 2. This world was destroyed when Lucifer fell and became Satan. As a consequence, all of the dinosaurs died. This is known as the ‘Gap Theory‘. Supporters of this view will tell you that this gap between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 allows for the millions of years that science insists on. The main reason that I do not agree with this view, is that the reason that science insists on the millions of years, is to allow for evolution – which gap theory supporters do not believe in. The actual dating methods that science uses, have been proven unreliable numerous times, but this is always downplayed. Also it is hard to imagine that God could say that everything was good, if there was death & decay below the surface of the ground.
- The majority of the dinosaurs died in Noah’s flood and are now found in fossilized form. This is the view which I personally believe, because to accept it you do not need to read anything into the Bible that isn’t actually there. The fossil record shows many dinosaurs and other creatures that appear to have died very suddenly. This would have happened in the flood as they became covered by rapidly moving mudslides. It is a fact that when most creatures die, they simply rot away – they do not become fossilized. It takes something out of the ordinary to produce the conditions required for fossils to form – something like a worldwide flood. Noah likely took baby dinosaurs on the ark, but for whatever reason they did not thrive after the flood as they had prior to the flood.
QUESTION 5: SCIENCE SAYS THAT DINOSAURS & MAN DID NOT CO-EXIST, DOES THE BIBLE ACTUALLY MENTION DINOSAURS ANYWHERE?
Dinosaurs are not mentioned by name in the Bible, simply because the word ‘dinosaur’ did not exist until 1842. But there are creatures in the Bible, which match the description of dinosaurs. Look at this description of the behemoth from The Message Bible’s version of Job 40:15-24:
“Look at the land beast, Behemoth. I created him as well as you. Grazing on grass, docile as a cow— Just look at the strength of his back, the powerful muscles of his belly. His tail sways like a cedar in the wind; his huge legs are like beech trees. His skeleton is made of steel, every bone in his body hard as steel. Most magnificent of all my creatures, but I still lead him around like a lamb! The grass-covered hills serve him meals, while field mice frolic in his shadow. He takes afternoon naps under shade trees, cools himself in the reedy swamps, Lazily cool in the leafy shadows as the breeze moves through the willows. And when the river rages he doesn’t budge, stolid and unperturbed even when the Jordan goes wild. But you’d never want him for a pet—you’d never be able to housebreak him!“
This fits the description of a dinosaur such as a brachiosaurus and even contains details about how they lived, that cannot be found out from the fossil record. Some translations of the Bible suggest that this may have been an elephant or a hippopotamus. But how many elephants or hippos have you seen with tails like cedars?!?!? The book of Job also describes another dinosaur-like creature called a leviathan in Job 41 – look it up for yourself.
As well as in the Bible, there are also many legends that speak of animals that sound a lot like dinosaurs. Of course they are never called dinosaurs, because the word had not been invented, but the descriptions are pretty similar to dinosaurs. Most of the time the creatures are referred to as dragons, and are often exaggerations, but that does not mean that they are not based on something that was real. Marco Polo described creatures which sound a lot like carnivorous dinosaurs. There was even a sighting of a dinosaur-like creature by a German submarine during World War I.
If you have any further questions or thoughts, please feel free to leave a comment.
If you have never received Jesus as your Lord & Saviour, if you have gone away from God, or if you have any doubts regarding your salvation. I encourage you to click on the link below. Clicking on the link will not secure your salvation, but praying the prayer you find, from your heart, will.
For the salvation prayer, please click here.