Are there any reasons that you would actually want to tithe?
Many Christians shudder when they hear the word ‘tithing’, some even give long-winded reasons why we don’t need to tithe. The kind of thoughts that come immediately to their minds are: “Surely I don’t have to give ten percent of my money to God, do I?“or “I really can’t afford to be giving away that much money!” or “I’m pretty sure that doesn’t apply to us today, we don’t have to do that legalistic stuff, do we? (Please tell me the answer is no!)“. Don’t panic! If those are the sort of thoughts that come to your mind when someone mentions tithing, I can put your mind at rest – no, you do not have to tithe. Neither do you have to read the Bible, nor pray, nor go to Church. You don’t even have to receive Jesus as your Lord and Saviour – God has given all of us free will. Of course, you probably realise that there are benefits to doing all of those other things! But are any reasons that you would actually want to give ten percent to God, that you would actually want to tithe?
There are huge benefits to tithing.
Before we get into why you would want to tithe, let’s find out whether tithing comes up in the New Testament, or if its just an Old Testament thing. In Matthew 23:23 Jesus scolded the pharisees for religiously tithing (even going as far as tithing on herbs), but ignoring the more important parts of the law, such as mercy and faith. “For ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other (tithing) undone“. Jesus could have used this as an opportunity to say that they didn’t need to tithe anymore – but instead He told them, “not to leave the other (tithing) undone“. So I cannot tell you that Jesus came to do away with tithing! However, I can tell you that there are huge benefits to tithing. I can tell you that rather than not being able to afford to tithe, you can’t afford not to tithe. Don’t believe me? Read on!
Tithing is not about you giving God your money.
Let’s take a look at Malachi chapter 3, beginning at verse 8, “Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation“. As you can see, God takes tithing pretty seriously! (We have however been redeemed from the Curse of the Law – Galatians 3:13) Let’s read some more, “Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts,” (this is where it gets good!) “if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it“. Now that sounds like a pretty good reason to be tithing. But God doesn’t stop there, “And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of hosts“. You see, tithing is not about you giving God your money – He doesn’t need it! Tithing is about you giving God an opportunity to bless you, and it is God’s ordained method to fund the Church (just as it funded the temple and the priests in the Old Testament).
God Himself will rebuke the devil when he tries to steal from you.
Let’s list the blessings and benefits that God promises to the tither:
- God will open the windows of heaven and pour you out a blessing that you won’t even have room to receive. It will overflow from your life into the lives of others.
- God will rebuke the devourer for your sake. God Himself will rebuke the devil when he tries to steal from you.
- He (the devourer / the devil) shall not destroy the fruits of your ground. If you grow literal fruit or vegetables God will make sure the devil doesn’t destroy them. This also applies to anything else in your life that could be described as fruit.
- Your vine will not cast its fruit before the time in the field. Firstly, any natural fruit you grow will not fall to the ground before it is ripe. But another example of what this also means, is that if you are a woman you will not miscarry. Now you may be saying, “That can’t be true, I know plenty of Christian women who have had miscarriages“, you may even have had a miscarriage yourself. But are you going to try to disprove the Bible because of ‘experiences’? Please do not be offended, or upset, but hear what God is saying. Exodus 23:26 also promises that women will not miscarry, “No woman in your land will miscarry or be unable to have children“. As with everything else, you can dismiss this as nonsense if you want, “Oh we’re not supposed to take these things literally…..“, but the world does not need Christians who are looking for ways to prove that the Bible doesn’t really mean what it says. The world needs Christians who see a promise in the Bible and say, “Amen, I believe that and I claim it for myself” and then they tell others about it.
- All nations shall call you blessed.
There is more to tithing than simply putting your money in the offering basket.
So tell me, what is the downside to tithing? There isn’t one! But I will point out, that there is more to tithing than simply putting your money in the offering basket every week or every month. You need to take the time to pray over your tithe, ask God to bless it and thank Him for all the benefits listed above. Then fully expect to receive all of those benefits. Tithing is the foundation of biblical prosperity (yes prosperity is a biblical word – look it up!). If you are not already tithing, let me encourage you to start. It may sound scary, giving away ten percent of your gross income (yes, I did say gross!), but it’s simply a matter of trusting that God will abundantly bless you, rather than letting you struggle to make ends meet with the remaining ninety percent. You may be struggling now, but that’s because you don’t have God’s blessing on your money – take a step of faith and give Him an opportunity to bless you!
If you have any further questions or thoughts, please feel free to leave a comment.
If you have never received Jesus as your Lord & Saviour, if you have gone away from God, or if you have any doubts regarding your salvation. I encourage you to click on the link below. Clicking on the link will not secure your salvation, but praying the prayer you find, from your heart, will.
For the salvation prayer, please click here.